Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sweater Project Progress

 This is the original sweater from the thrift shop.  The style is not something that I would ever wear but I thought it would work for my first project.  Actually I scored a dozen sweaters that day and thought this would be the easiest to work with first.  I'm not really feeling that way right now but will persevere because in the end it will probably be ok. 

Originally I thought that the body of the sweater would make a nice purse.  Once I cut the body, basted the sides together and felted it, however, the shape seemed a bit too long and narrow for a purse and the pattern too businesslike to become a market bag.  So, once measured, it turned out to be a good size for a laptop computer sleeve.  Now it needs to be sewn together with a lining and padding to provide some protection for a laptop.  Then all that remains is to decide what kind of fasteners to put at the top so the computer doesn't fall out.  It would be great to have feedback from visitors out there.  Possibilities include Velcro, buttons with wool corded fasteners or snaps(?).   

Please excuse its present state.

The arms of the sweater yielded a scarf.  The arms were sewn together with the hope that they would felt nicely into a free flowing scarf.  Alas, that didn't really happen and I ended up sewing the two pieces together more tightly and I am not happy with the line that now appears in the middle of the scarf.

It is actually more pronounced in person.


My thoughts then are to hide the unsightly seam is to somehow use the soft backing that I have to put on it to cover it.  I need to play with it some more.  Also I thought that because the scarf is not real long, that it could be used like this picture and I would add either  hidden snaps or a nice large button making it more like a cravat.

                        Thanks for visiting!     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know you visited - I love company.